Property Conditions Assessments / Commercial Inspections
The purpose of a Property Conditions Assessment / Commercial Inspection (PCA) is to observe and report on the physical condition of the subject property and to provide professional recommendations regarding future issues including financial risk or liability to the client.
Major structural, electrical, plumbing and HVAC components of each structure, as well as site improvements, are carefully examined for condition, status of completion, general code conformance, life cycle costs, sufficiency for their intended use, and extent of defects and depreciation in a Property Condition Assessment report. We will interview site personnel, perform document reviews and conduct walk-through surveys noting the physical condition of the building systems and components of a Property Condition Assessment report.
Systems surveyed that will be in a Property Conditions Assessment include the following:
- Site and Grounds – pavement, curbs, loading docks, walks, landscaping, irrigation, site drainage, exterior lighting, walls, fencing/railings, signage and exterior amenities.
- Structural Systems – Foundations and structural framing of walls, columns, intermediate floors and roofs.
- Building Envelope – Roofing systems, exterior finishes, stairs and steps, exterior doors and windows.
- Interior Building Components – Interior finishes of common areas and tenant areas. Condition of soft goods will not be assessed.
- Mechanical Systems – Property-owned electrical, heating ventilation/ air conditioning, plumbing and conveyance systems./li>
- Regulatory Compliance – Life safety, fire suppression systems, and general visual review of property compliance to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). AEI services include contacting the local building, zoning, and fire department / authorities to identify any currently outstanding building or fire code violations at the subject property.
There are four important components of the E2018-08 that we will complete.
1) Document Reviews & Interviews
We will schedule meetings with stakeholders and key individuals of a property. These meetings will help our environmental consultants better understand the unique conditions and possible deficiencies of the property and make the Walk-Through survey more efficient.
Previous repairs, upgrades, recorded building code violations, recorded physical deficiencies and other information found by reviewing historical documents of the property is important for evaluating the overall condition of the building or property and will be included in the Property Conditions Report (PCR).
2) Walk Through Survey
Also commonly called property site inspections, the Walk-Through Survey phase aims to obtain information about material systems and components of a property. We will identify any visible physical deficiencies. Random testing of mechanical, plumbing, ventilation and electrical systems, fixtures and equipment may also be conducted at this time.
3) Opinions of Probable Costs to Remedy Physical Defects
After completing the Walk-Through Survey, we will prepare approximated costs associated with the remedy for physical deficiencies found with the building or property. These do not include repairs or improvements that would be considered cosmetic or decorative, part of a building renovation plan, enhancements to reposition the property or normal preventative maintenance.
These costs are not meant to be exact but give a stakeholder of the property a sense of costs involved in fixing physical deficiencies based on reliable sources.
4) Property Conditions Report
After collecting all necessary information, we will prepare a Property Conditions Report (PCR) that conveys the physical condition and short and long term costs associated with the property. The report will detail physical deficiencies that require immediate action and include cost tables for fixing existing physical deficiencies.
Our PCA reports comply with industry standards based on ASTM E-2018- 15 requirements along with Freddie Mac, Fannie Mae or HUD guidelines. Customized scopes are also available.